We make your jewelry in small, made-to-order batches. As the pieces are individually hand made using traditional techniques, there will be slight variances in detail and texture – making each one unique and more personal.
MaterialsModern Myth uses high quality and enduring materials – from precious metals to carefully selected diamonds and natural gemstones.
14k and 18k Gold
We use solid 14k and 18k gold for our fine jewelry.
Solid gold is one of the precious metals that will not oxidize or discolor, so it’s the best option for those who always wear their jewelry.
Sterling silver is an alloy made of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals.
Over time, sterling silver will naturally tarnish. The key to maintaining the jewelry’s shine is to often wear it, as the oils from the skin actually help in keeping it clean.
24k Gold-Plated Sterling Silver
A layer of 24k gold is thickly plated over sterling silver.
With time and wear, the gold layer of your gold-plated sterling silver piece will begin to fade and the base metal of sterling silver underneath will come through. You can prolong the gold plating by taking note of our jewelry care guide.
Diamonds and Gemstones
Our diamonds and gemstones are responsibly and ethically sourced. As every stone is natural and unique, colors will slightly vary.
We want your Modern Myth piece to look it's very best and in perfect condition, so here are some steps in taking care of your jewelry.
- Avoid wearing your plated jewelry when showering, swimming, or exercising.
- Wait until your lotion or perfume has set in before putting on your jewelry.
- Even with solid gold, take your jewelry off when doing rough work that may damage the shape of the piece or a stone that’s been set.
- In order to maintain its shine, use a very soft cloth to gently clean the surface of your jewelry.
- If there's tarnish and needs more attention, wash it in warm water. Use a mild, ammonia- and phosphate-free soap only if necessary (stay away from jewelry cleaners and antibacterial soaps as these might affect the finish of your jewelry). If you have to scrub, do it gently using an old soft toothbrush. Rinse it well and use a soft cloth to dry your jewelry.
- Sterling silver can also be cleaned using any commercially-available solutions, preferably non-chemical.
- When not being worn, store your jewelry in an airtight container or in the Modern Myth pouch provided.
Since it’s more delicate, special attention is required for 24k gold-plated sterling silver jewelry – time and wear and varying skin acidity levels will impact the longevity of the plating. To prolong the good state of the plating, it is advised to follow the steps above. Please also note that pieces may need to be re-plated every now and then to maintain their original appearance. We offer free one-time re-plating for gold-plated pieces within 1 year from the date of purchase. If you need this service after the 1-year period, we can still re-plate these for you at a minimal cost.
Understanding what materials are used and how to care for your jewelry will make a great difference in the maintenance of each piece.